Pilates hip fold
No need to strain your neck with ab curls, use the Pilates hip fold to build your core in a safe way.
Check out Margot’s postural control video about the Pilates hip fold on the foam roller.
Key points to remember:
- keep your abdominal wall pulled in whenever moving your leg
- stay heavy through the back ribs and mid-spine (make sure they don’t lift as you lift your leg)
- fold at the hip crease and knee joint so they each make a 90 degree angle
- if the hip gets tight, draw the leg in a bit closer to your torso
- you can do this on the floor if you don’t have a foam roller
To add challenge:
- lift one or two hands off the floor to challenge balance
- add small apparatus (i.e., hold hand weights or place something unstable under the feet)
- use your own body (i.e., turn your head or close your eyes)
Answer this in the comment section below:
What are your favorite hip fold variations?