Moving forward in harmony
Diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism and non-discrimination are not just words to us. They’re actions. Actions like pausing to listen, learn and correct when a colleague, client or community member asks us to think differently. Like doing whatever we can to provide equal access and to champion social justice. Like aiming to make everyone feel welcome, seen, heard and included for who they are, what they believe and how they identify. And like taking a stand when it comes to calling out unconscious bias, racism and discrimination.
Action comes naturally to us at Body Harmonics because, at our core, we know and believe that movement has the power to heal, without bias. Simply put, our commitment to act on making Body Harmonics a diverse, equitable, inclusive and non-discriminatory place to work and grow involves:
- Attracting and hiring a broad cross-section of people
- Encouraging people to be themselves
- Doing whatever we can to level the playing field
- Making our services as accessible as possible to those who need or want them
- Accommodating and supporting those with special needs and abilities
- Reaching beyond our borders to promote harmony and healing with initiatives like Movement for Change and Caring for Those Who Care
Frontlines campers enjoyed a fun-filled Pilates & Movement class led by Body Harmonics teachers Edie and Nila this summer.
Championing our BIPOC community
Here are some of the initiatives we’ve recently undertaken at Body Harmonics towards even greater action when it comes to eliminating systemic racism and discrimination:
- We’ll be launching a Teacher Training scholarship program for members of the BIPOC community this year.
- To build upon our existing internal anti-racism training, we have set up a Diversity Advisory Board to assist us as we move towards an even more inclusive community. The mandate of our Board is to identify, recommend and oversee initiatives that will support and further Body Harmonics’ commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism and non-discrimination.
- We recently invited members of our immediate and wider BIPOC community to be featured on our website—to amplify their voices and support their businesses. To join this illustrious group, please complete this online form. This new section of our website will be announced soon.
We know this is just a start and there’s far more to be done. We absolutely expect to be held accountable by our community in our promise to do more and be better.
Show up for change! Add your name to our BIPOC community board
Are you a member of the Body Harmonics BIPOC community, near or far? We’d love to help boost your profile and share your talents with the world. Whether you’re a client, student, staff member, neighbour or part of the wider Pilates, movement and wellness community, we’d love to learn more about you and celebrate you publicly!
To reach our Diversity Advisory Board, please submit your comment, idea or concern.